Moroccan Lamb Tagine

General chat about Morocco

Moroccan Lamb Tagine

Postby junipedn » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:02 pm

Hi everyone - Whilst in Morocco last month I became addicted to a lovely Moroccan dish - Lamb Tagine. so much so in fact that I borrowed a book and have cooked this particular dinner several times for friends at dinner parties - and it has always been a huge success.
I thought I'd share it with you seeing as most of you are going ahead with your plans and thought you might just like to get a 'taste' of Moroccan cooking (if you haven't already). Honestly this is f a n t a s t i c !!!
This serves 6.
3lbs 10 oz shoulder of lamb cut into pieces, 2floz saffron (that's a good pinch in half a cup of boiling water then strain when you use), 14 oz onions chopped, 3 garlic cloves (I chop mine into tiny pieces), one and three quarter oz butter, quarter pint water, 100ml vegetable oil. spice Mixture= as follows: 1tsp ground cinnamon, half tsp ground tumeric, 1tsp salt, half tsp white pepper and 4 oz flaked almonds (can use whole if you can't get them) Dried Fruits: 5 and half oz dried apricots, 5 and half oz prunes, 5 and half oz dried figs, 4 cinnamon sticks.
Method: Mix all the spices together (not sticks) and rub into the meat. Put into a saucepan. Add prepared saffron, onions, garlic, oil, butter and 3 and half fl oz of the water. Bring to the boil then add the mixed dried fuits, nuts and rest of the water. Stir well. Transfer into a casserole dish and add the cinnamon sticks. Cover. Cook slowly for around 2 hours - stirring occasionally. (makes the meat fall apart). Serve with flavoured couscous (I personally use the Med flavour ones from (am I allowed to advertise here?) and supermarket beginning with T. (4 packets will serve 6 easily and only takes 10 minutes to prepare).
Enjoy!!! PS for sweet I usually do a passion fruit served with mango sorbet to clear the mouth - delicious!
junipedn

Postby nermster » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:11 pm

Sounds delicious - one for the weekend!
nermster

Postby romablade1889 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:30 am

If I don't get confirmation of my allocation soon there may be a new variant of the dish - Morrocan Tangine with Delicately Infused Developer... :evil:
romablade1889

Postby fabs35 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:55 am

I know exactly how you feel!!! :twisted:
fabs35

Postby Richard P » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:28 pm

I tried your lamb tajine. I was a bit puzzed with the measurements but finally got there. Anyway, the tajine tasted great. I didn't get the couscous you recommended. Instead I made plain couscous. I also made a nice salad and added argan oil to it. This oil is great with couscous as well but I don't think you are supposed to heat it.
Richard P

Return to Morocco