General Observations

What's happening at Alcudia Smir?

General Observations

Postby GoldenSandsAP2 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:03 pm

Everywhere was very quiet. The only place that felt remotely 'lively' was M'diq during the market night. It seems that the main tourist season is currently just 2 months long - July and August. Ramadan apparently falls in August next year so there is some question about whether this will chop the season down to just July.

I was told that there are a few foreigners but the tourists are mainly Morrocans coming up from Fez, Meknes, Rabat and Casablanca. They supposedly prefer to rent / buy poolside apartments and are not as bothered about sea views as us Northern Europeans.

No building work apparently takes place in July or August and very little goes on during Ramadan. It wasn't exactly a hive of activity when I visited so the guesstimate made by the AP2 representative of late 2010 seems reasonable.

The Barcelo group has possibly signed up to take the onsite hotel although this has not been officially confirmed yet.

To the north of the development the nearest town is the border town of F'ndiq which I only passed through. To the South, Marina Smir is a 7 minute drive away - not walking distance in my opinion. All but two of the restaurants in the marina were closed. I only saw the supermarket shop open once. I have photos of the marina if anyone wants to see them.

I stayed in the Jawhara development opposite the Sofitel and 2 minutes walk from the marina. I would recommend staying there or in AP1 for three reasons. One, a couple of cups of coffee cost 80 dirhams in the Sofitel and it doesn't get particularly good online reviews. Two, you can see what your apartment will look like in a few years time if you decide to rent it out (wear and tear). Three, it gives you an idea what sort of furniture is suitable if you are renting. It cost 50 euro a night to rent a 2 bed apartment. I have photos of Jawhara is anyone wants to see them.

I found the med coast to be more humid than the Atlantic coast and I don't think you could just close up an apartment and visit it once a year. The humidity would require regular airings I would have thought.

To anyone arriving / departing via Ceuta, allow extra time to make the border crossing. I crossed into Ceuta at 4.30am thinking it would be quiet - not so! I only just made the 7.30am ferry (5.30am Morrocan time). A better bet would be to fly Royal Air Maroc from Heathrow to Tangier and then hire a car and drive down the new toll motorway.

I don't want to put anyone off but here are a few of the 'issues' that foreign buyers were discussing in the Relais restaurant at Marina Smir:

* Rental monies not been passed on.
* Excessive wear and tear on a year old apartment, which had apparently only been let for a couple of nights in the whole year.
* Disappointment with the quality of furniture packs.
* Disappointment about the length of the season.
* Furniture disappearing, possibly being rotated among apartments.
* Long delays on developments.
GoldenSandsAP2

Postby VAF » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi GoldenSandsAP2,

Thanks sharing the informations.
The AP2's completion date from GFM is normally end of december 2009, which seems impossible from the pictures
Did you get info from GFM about new completion date ?

Regards
VAF

Completion Date

Postby GoldenSandsAP2 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:39 pm

My information has been coming from Azur Developments rather than GFM as I'm buying from Azur. The last estimate that their Birmingham office gave me was January 2010. Their 'man on the ground' Herve Bichet guesses it will be towards the end of 2010 before they are completed. He isn't dealing with AP4 or AP5 but he thinks that completion will be after AP2.
GoldenSandsAP2

Postby VAF » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi GoldenSandsAP2,

As I'm buying from GFM, I'll check with them the new AP2's completion date and let you know.

Regards,

VAF
VAF

Which Block?

Postby GoldenSandsAP2 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi VAF

Which block are you in? I'm in block 7 on the ground floor.
GoldenSandsAP2

Postby VAF » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi GoldenSandsAP2,

I'm in block 5 (I think just opposite block 7), also on ground floor.
VAF

Postby VAF » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi,

I called GFM's office in Alcudia SMIR, and they told me the completion date
for AP2 will be end of June or July 2010.

VAF
VAF

Update

Postby GoldenSandsAP2 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:16 pm

Your call must have prompted an update as I received a letter this morning by recorded delivery which gives an estimated completion date of June 2010.
GoldenSandsAP2

Return to Talk About Alcudia Smir