Solicitor to check over contract

What's happening at Alcudia Smir?

Solicitor to check over contract

Postby peejay » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:06 pm

Has anyone yet sorted out a solicitor to check over their contract? If so, who and what price are they charging? I seem to be having trouble - have been quoted £500 by one firm - which seems a bit excessive to me - or am I being naive? Any advice gratefully received.
peejay

legal fee

Postby shak » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:47 pm

This seams to be half of what is normally qouted. Please find out what does it include e.g. is it for

1) Going through the contract and comments on it.

2) taking the legal matters up to completion and being present and represent you at the notary

3) Dealing with other related matters euch connection of utilities, POA, etc.

I hope this helps
shak

Postby Pinky » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:12 pm

My contract is with CBA law, who are charging me £1000 fixed rate from start to completion. They have advised me that the initial contract has no talk of a bank gaurantee or information on services, eg elec, gas water. They have advised me not to sign until these are in black and white!! Fadesa have said this is not a problem and are sending me a new contract which includes details of this. Moneycorp are dealing with the money transfers for me direct to fadesa so no need for a moroccan bank account just yet!! I understand opening an account is a palava!! anyone got any info??
Pinky

contract

Postby shak » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:22 pm

I agree with CB law you should not sign anything that does not set out all in black and white.

In my past dealings with Fadesa I have learnt that its difficult to pin them down to do things that are in writing, what chance you have if its verbal or the contract is silent.

Interesting question is that when CB law/you raised the point they agreed to send you a fresh contract. Are there different contracts floating about and if so why ? surely it should one contract for all/ Yet another cock up of Fadesa (sorry had to put this in other wise my so called agenda will not be operative)
shak

Postby CARLYWOO » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:15 pm

Hi

Grace and Co in Warrington charge £150 to look over contract then a further £700 to see it through to the end. They are very good and have a lot of knowledge of Morroco and buying property best person to speak to is Graham Hughes
CARLYWOO

Postby romablade1889 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:30 pm

Seems a bit cheap to me. Check what you're getting for that amount.

I've been quoted £800, £900 and £870 by three different solicitors (all excl. VAT).

John Howells in Covent Garden looks like good one to use and comes highly recommended by others.

http://www.lawoverseas.com/default.php
romablade1889

Postby peejay » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:40 am

Thanks for all your responses. The fee quoted was just for looking over the contract, not for taking it through to purchase. I enquired at Grace & Co and was told that they would not 'just look over the contract' they would only quote for doing the whole conveyancing. I have now been put in touch with some UK solicitors that have an office near to Marina Smir and know of the development, so am just waiting for them to come back to me with a quote.
peejay

Postby ScottieDog » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:20 pm

I am using Grace and Co also. They are just less that £1000 fixed price from beginning to completion.

I can't comment on how good they are yet as I have only just appointed them, but I hear from others that they did a good job on PV
ScottieDog

Postby davmel » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:39 pm

Hi,
I'm working with Manzanares Lawyers purchasing 2 units in AP4. they have an office in TANGIERS - LONDON - DUBLIN etc. Currently waiting a quote. Has anyone got first hand experience?
rgds
Davmel
davmel

Solicitor appointed

Postby peejay » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:43 am

After a few false starts we ended up appointing CBA Law.
We had a quote from some solicitors with offices near Marina Smir who we had been put in touch with by a UK solicitor and they were very helpful (excellent English) and responded immediately to queries, but were a bit more expensive and we were a bit twitchy about appointing a non-UK solicitor. However they have said that if we need any help on the local (ie Moroccan) side in the future they will be happy to help, which we thought was useful.
We got no response whatsoever from an email request for a quote from Grace & Co - but CBA Law responded immediately with reasonable prices and plenty of information and from other posts on this website they seem to have their act together with dealing with the contracts, so we went for them.
peejay

Air Conditioning

Postby davmel » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:49 am

Hi,
Has anyone worked out what "Pre-installation air-conditioning in main bedroom and living room" means?

Is this units installed or a just a power supply to a hole?

Rgds
Dave
davmel

Postby mcneilee » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:59 am

it means ducting installed no aircon units
luv the edit button
mcneilee

Postby Pinky » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:01 pm

I am having a few problems with Fadesa. My solicitor at CBA law has advised me NOT to sign the contract untill Fadesa have a bank guarantee in place and also details confirming the gas, electric and water are supplied and included in the price. Fadesa have now said they wont change the contract and will write a letter AFTER we have signed the contract to confirm bank guarantee and utilities. STALEMATE !! What now ?? anyone got any ideas??
Pinky

Postby Pinky » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:02 pm

I am having a few problems with Fadesa. My solicitor at CBA law has advised me NOT to sign the contract untill Fadesa have a bank guarantee in place and also details confirming the gas, electric and water are supplied and included in the price. Fadesa have now said they wont change the contract and will write a letter AFTER we have signed the contract to confirm bank guarantee and utilities. STALEMATE !! What now ?? anyone got any ideas??
Pinky

Postby mcneilee » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:50 pm

just what i feared cos no large group of people together fadesa now trying to call all the shots
luv the edit button
mcneilee

Next

Return to Talk About Alcudia Smir